- Arm ~ each apostle (or player) draws six faith cards.
- Live ~ The players will go through five actions and this phase is repeated twice for 2-3 players, three times for 4-5 players, and four times with 6 players. The Elder staff is passed along every time the Live phase is repeated.
- Trials ~ The elder draws a Trial card and applies the effect to the location of his pawn. The trial cards may have him lose a turn, place a mission stop, scatter church members, or extinguish a church.
- Pray ~ Players secretly select two faith cards from his hand and rolls the die. The eight-sided die will have them complete a task that is assigned to each number.
- Share ~ During this time the players turn over their prayer cards and the elder decides which two to use.
- Move ~ The pieces on the board may be moved between locations. The player with the elder staff gets to move twice and can move any piece on the board.
- Grow ~ The churches can gain members, but the elder decides which one will grow.
- Mature ~ Players use their remaining faith cards to purchase new faith cards. Each faith card has a number on it and those numbers can be added to purchase higher valued cards.
The game ends when the victory conditions are met, these conditions are included on the scenario cards, when five churches have been extinguished, or the last trial card has been drawn.