Thursday, July 30, 2015
Monday, July 27, 2015
- Warm Up ~ There are a few review questions to get your brain in math mode. Once Amber completed them she could look at her results, but they do not count toward the grades.
- Video Segment ~ The videos are given by UnLock Math creator Alesia Blackwood. These video segments are very short and she is very animated as she talks. She uses facial features and hand motions that make you feel you are actually in her class.
- Practice ~ Here the student has questions that relate to what was just taught in the video. These questions can be answered as many times as they need to and the best grade will be recorded. This section is 30% of the grade.
- Stay Sharp ~ There are review problems in this section. The student can work on these as many times as they would like and their best grade is recorded. This section is 10% of the grade.
- Challenge ~ A story problem to get the kids to think is included here. This problem may not be for everyone and it doesn't have to be answered to show the lesson is complete. If the child chooses to answer it they are awarded 5% bonus.
- Reference Notes ~ This is a down loadable note page from the lesson. The vocabulary words are written in a bright blue color. This makes it easy for the student to find what they need especially when they need to review a concept.
There are also Reviews, Quizzes, Tests, Midterms, and a Final Exam. The reviews are not graded and can be completed as many times as the student needs. The quizzes are 15% and can be completed twice and the average score is recorded. The tests are worth 30% and can be taken twice with the best grade being kept. The midterm can only be completed once and is 5% of the grade. The final exam is worth 10%. This can only be taken once and will give you a good indication of how much of the material the student has retained.
Sunday, July 26, 2015
A few years ago my kids gave me a cookbook that has copy cat recipes in it. There were recipes from restaurants that we had never heard of and one of them was the Pizza Ranch. Back in May we were in Columbus, NE playing soccer and they have a Pizza Ranch. We decided to eat there after our game with a few more of the soccer players. We were all very pleased with their food and the service was excellent. We came in right before closing and they weren't stocking the buffet any more, but we could ask for any pizza we wanted and they would put it out. The pizza was hot & delicious we will definitely be eating there again when we are around one.
The Pizza Ranch was a dream of Adrie Groeneweg in 1981 when he was only 19. He wondered why people had to drive out of town (Hull, IA) to get pizza. With a few recipes developed by his mom the Pizza Ranch was born. They now have over 190 locations across 13 states.
Pizza Ranch has a vision and mission to glorify God. On June 2, 2015, Pizza Ranch released a CD called Living Hope. There are 12 songs from many of their Christian artists, most of them are brand-new and were written for this CD around the theme of Hope.
Future ~ Francesca Battistelli
Blind ~ Colton Dixon
My All In All ~ Phil Wickham
Hold Onto Hope ~ Ellie Holcomb
Savior's Arms ~ Passion Band
Overcome The World ~ Mark Schultz
Panic Button ~ Kevin Max
Hope of Heaven ~ Michael W. Smith
Till I Met You ~ Laura Story
A Little Hope ~ Bart Millard
What Are You Waiting For ~ Sidewalk Prohets
Day One ~ Matthew West
My girls and I have been listening to this CD for a couple of weeks and we love it. The musicians are favorites of the Pizza Ranch and they are also favorites of ours. We already loved Day One and Francesca Battistelli is one of our favorite artists.
From Adrie Groeneweg, President & CEO of Pizza Ranch, Inc.: "This album has a very special meaning for Pizza Ranch. Although Pizza Ranch is not in the music business, many things have been happening, conversations have been taking place and doors have been opening for this album. Through these events, I believe it was obvious that God has been behind this for His specific purpose and putting it on our hearts to collectively create this project. As such, we call this our miracle album, Living Hope."
You can purchase the CD for $5 plus tax only in Pizza Ranch restaurants or you can download it at pizzaranch.com/livinghope through August 31. Or if you are in the US or Canada you can enter my giveaway below.
Pizza Ranch Social Media
Twitter: @PizzaRanch @PRServes
Thursday, July 23, 2015
Talking to our preteens and teens about purity can sometimes be a challenge, but it is something that must be done. Kids grow up so fast and they are bombarded with so many inappropriate things in their preteen & teenage years. The Passport2Purity by Dennis & Barbara Rainey can be a life-changing weekend with your preteen.
We must talk to our kids about sex no matter how comfortable or uncomfortable you may think it is. I don't think keeping our kids pure will happen when we expect them to obey all of the rules perfectly. It must be a heart issue for our kids, they must want to protect themselves to remain pure. If we have a good relationship with our kids they will feel more comfortable talking to us about their struggles. The P2P is designed to be used with mother and daughter or father and son when they are preteens. The plan for the P2P is to getaway from home with your son or daughter to make the weekend more special. If that isn't possible you could make it a weekend at home or spread it out a little longer.
The P2P getaway takes you and your preteen on a weekend trip they will never forget. Everything is laid out for you and is very easy to implement. The weekend actually starts early for the parent, so they can get things ready and pray for their weekend. On Friday you will complete the first 2 sessions and on Saturday you will go through the last 3. There are things to follow up the weekend including devotionals to help your preteen remain pure.
The getaway kit contains:
- A Tour Guide for the parent- This softcover book includes checklists to prepare for the weekend getaway, and what to do on the days you are there. Plus chapters for each session with topics and questions to discuss.
- Travel Journal for the preteen with 25 follow-up devotions- This hard back journal is very colorful and fun with chapters for each session, and 25 devotions to keep your heart and mind pursuing purity.
- 8 CDs containing 5 sessions, scripture memory songs and MP3s- Each session has scripture memory songs, real life stories from teens and adults, and teaching from parents who have been there.
The 5 sessions cover:
- Beginning the Journey - Challenges, Traps, and Choices
- Running With the Herd- Friendships and Peer Pressure
- Ready For An Upgrade?-Changes in Him, Changes in Her
- Destination: Lé Pure- Setting Boundaries
- Crossing the Date Line-Seeing Dating Differently
~~ Coupon Code~~
Receive 25% off the getaway kit by using the promo code: PASSPORT.
Passport2Purity Social Media
Twitter: @FamilyLifeToday @DennisRainey @BarbaraRainey
Disclaimer: I received a copy of Family Life's Passport2Purity Getaway Kit Third Edition free of charge in exchange for my review. No other compensation was received.
Wednesday, July 22, 2015
Tuesday, July 21, 2015
Alaina coloring her puppets.
The girls favorite project was the stained glass windows.
Alaina loves the suitcase. She wants to cut all of her folders now.
Wednesday, July 15, 2015
This past weekend we took Amber to Omaha for soccer camp at UNO. While we were there we went out to eat and a Minion just happened to be walking by.
I guess this wasn't exactly wordless!!
Tuesday, July 14, 2015
Thursday, July 9, 2015
- The Right Beginning/God Your Heavenly Father~ We learned that starting out on the right path will lead your life in the right direction.
- The Map/God's Love~ God has given us a map as a standard to live by and help navigate through this life.
- The Bridge/Why Doesn't 1+2 Add up in My Life?~ God loves everyone no matter what their past looks like.
- The Storms/It's All-Out War~Don't give up when trials come.
- The Enemy/The Enemy's Lies...and Where They Lead~There is no need to fear the war that goes on around us, but we must be prepared.
- Full Testimony/Pressure!~Looking at peoples choices in life and how God has helped them.
- Two Opposing Fears/Anger~Learning the difference between listening to and fearing God rather than man.
- Anger/Forgiveness~Learning how to deal with anger.
- Forgiveness/Two Brothers-Pride and Selfishness~ Helping students to understand that we must forgive one another.
- Pride/Refocus~Realizing pride and selfishness can lead to other sins.
- Refocus/Prasso, putting it all into practice~ Students must understand they must train themselves to serve God or themselves.
- Prasso/The Journey~Helping students see the benefits to serving God.
- Eternal Eyeglasses~Students must look to the eternal to help them through this life and hearing God say "well done".
The Teen Prasso Teacher's Manual is an 124 page spiral bound book. Each weekly lesson contains a teaching outline that explains exactly what to do for each lesson. There is a key verse and message goal included and a fictitious story that is woven throughout the book to help teens understand the principles being taught. There are also tips for asking good discussion questions and how to deal with a diverse group.
Teen Prasso Homework Manual is an 187 page spiral notebook. Each chapter gives a memory verse, an introduction, and an activity for 6 days of the week. The questions make the students think about the verses, what they learned from them, sometimes rewriting the verses in their own words, and questions for group discussions.
This Bible study covers topics that are relevant and practical for teens. The teacher's guide is very easy to use with one student or multiple. If you follow the outline provided it tells you exactly what to do or read next. It tells you what part to read then tells you if you should give an example, ask any questions, and includes additional Bible references to go with the lesson. After using this study the student will have a good look at how they should live their lives and make them feel loved by God through forgiveness no matter what they have done in the past.
I have two teenagers in the house and one preteen. I had Amber use the Homework Manual, but her sisters were around while we read over the Bible verses and the discussion questions in the Student Manual. The questions in the Teacher's Manual really got my girls to talking about what they were thinking. They all thought the story that is in each lesson helped them understand the topic being covered because it gave them a visual they could relate to. The Student Manual really adds to the course and helped Amber see how the Bible can be practiced in her life.
This Prasso Bible study would make a great addition to any home or teen class.